This Rum and Ramazzotti cocktail is a variation on a Jungle Bird, a Campari-based classic cocktail. By substituting out the Campari for a different amaro, Ramazzotti, it completely changes the drink. The result is a refreshing drink but with richer tasting notes, like brown sugar, cola and caramel.
Jungle Bird Variation
The Jungle Bird is a classic cocktail made with rum, Campari, pineapple, lime juice and simple syrup. The resulting drink is beautifully balanced. The sweetness of the pineapple and syrup, the bitterness of the Campari and the sourness of the lime juice all blend together beautifully.
Whereas a Jungle Bird has the astringency of the Campari, Ramazzotti has a completely different flavor profile. It's not as bitter, and is overall sweeter with notes of molasses, anise and cola. Obviously, the cola pairs really well with rum 🙂
Because the Ramazzotti is not as bitter, there was no need to add the extra simple syrup to balance it out. The lime and pineapple add sour and sweet notes, and dark rum is the backbone. I used Plantation 5 Year Grand Reserve Rum, which is a really delicious dark rum at a good price point.
Making the Cocktail
Since this is a tiki cocktail, it's all about the garnish! Prep a wedge of fresh pineapple to sit on the side of the glass. Then slice a thin wheel of lime and thread a cocktail pick through one side of the lime. Add a maraschino cherry to the pick, then thread it through the lime again and add it to the top of the pineapple wedge.
Building the Drink and Serving
To build the drink, start by adding the freshly squeezed lime juice to a cocktail shaker. Add the rum, Ramazzotti and pineapple juice to the shaker, and fill it with ice.
Prepare your serving glass by filling it with ice as well. Shake the cocktail vigorously to dilute and chill it, and strain it into the serving glass. Last, add your prepared garnish to the glass. Then head outside to bask in the sunshine and sip on your creation!
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Tropical flavors are the star in this Passionfruit Mango Sour
- Try this refreshing and beautiful Dragonfruit Mojito
- This Kiwi Chartreuse Daiquiri is a colorful, rum-based cocktail served up
Did You Try This Recipe?
I would love to know if you gave this cocktail a try! How did you like the Ramazzotti paired with rum? I would truly appreciate it if you could leave me a star rating or review below!
Rum and Ramazzotti
- Cocktail shaker and strainer
- Jigger or measuring cup
- Knife and cocktail pick for the garnish (optional)
- Serving glass
- Create your garnish by cutting a wedge of fresh pineapple. Thread a cocktail pick through a thin lime wheel wrapped around a maraschino cherry, and stick the pick into the pineapple.
- Add the fresh lime juice, Ramazzotti, rum and pineapple juice to a cocktail shaker. Fill it with ice and shake until chilled.
- Fill your serving glass with ice and strain the cocktail into the serving glass.
- Add your garnish to the serving glass and serve immediately.